The Enhanced Resource Facility (ERF) for deaf and hearing impaired children offers a comprehensive package of support for pupils and their parents / carers. This includes:
- Implementation of a whole school plan for Deaf Awareness and deaf friendly teaching.
- A structured programme of training and induction for new staff working with deaf children.
- Use of soundfield systems in all classrooms and the hall along with personal FM systems.
- Annual Deaf Awareness sessions for all pupils plus an optional Sign Language Club for hearing and deaf children to attend at lunch times.
- Regular access throughout the week to a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD).
- Support from TOD or a specialist teaching and learning assistant in most lessons.
- Communication support tailored to their individual needs.
- A strong emphasis on providing good models of language whether English or BSL. Use of assessment and monitoring materials for both of these.
- Regular assessment and tracking of progress in line with school practice as well as for speaking & listening, audiological awareness and BSL.
- Regular liaison between home and school by means of a Learning Log (home-school book) as well as meetings, phone calls etc.
- Close liaison between all professionals working with the child.
- Provision of staff training from other services including Cochlear Implant Team, Service for Visually Impaired and Service for Physically Impaired.
- Ongoing support from audiology, speech and language therapy and other services.
- Annual review of statement and interim reviews / multi agency meetings in addition when necessary.
- Individual Education Plans (IEPs), reviewed three times a year and put together in collaboration with parents and other specialist services as appropriate.
- Weekly targets to address pertinent issues arising for the children within their mainstream classes.
- A Deaf Studies Curriculum covering the following aspects: PSHE & Emotional Literacy; Communication; Identity; Communication Technology; Deaf Community & Culture; Deaf History.
- Weekly Deaf Club and contact with a Deaf Tutor as appropriate.
- Links with other local ERF provision and termly joint Deaf Club sessions.
- Participation in local and national events to support organisations such as BDA (British Deaf Association), NDCS (National Deaf Children’s Society) and Sign Health. These include Sign and Sing, Sign2sing and Signathon.
- Visits to other provisions for deaf children such as RSD (Royal School for the Deaf) to see signed performances.
- Other children in school with hearing needs benefit from the support of the ERF team.
* The term Deaf / deaf is used throughout this statement to mean all children who come under the ERF provision whatever their level of hearing.